Sunday, February 6, 2011

fresh baked beer bread for dinner with a touch of valentine and superhero

I got to talk to my mom on the phone for a while today and thanked her for looking up an old recipe of hers for me. A plain German cookie recipe she has handwritten in her cookbook since before I even was born. We have  to make these cookies soon, there's just a slight problem I try to avoid eating so many sweets and if we have freshly baked cookies how will the sugarjunkie I am be able to resist?


Instead of cookies Bella and I made beer bread just in time for dinner. Banana bread sounded great for dessert and we could have used up the overriped bananas, but I forgot we already used up all the eggs for lunch. My shopping list is growing with all the things we ran out the last few days or are about to. I guess after three days I have to leave the house again and get into town.

Beer Bread Recipe

3 cups  all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 Tablespoons spices and herbs - basil, oregano, caraway seeds - was todays choice
1 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
12 ounces beer

Heat oven to 375°. Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, herbs, and cheddar in a large mixing bowl. Slowly stir in beer and mix just until combined. Batter will be thick. Spread in a greased 8-inch loaf pan, brush with egg glaze if desired, and bake until golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.

Bierbrot Rezept

680 gr. Mehl
1 EL Zucker
1 TL Salz
1 EL Backpulver
2 EL Gewuerze - Basilikum, Oregano und Kuemmel war unsere Wahl heute
225 gr. gerieberner Kaese (optional)
375 ml Bier - a bottle American beer. lol


Den Ofen auf 190 Grad Celsius vorheizen. Mehl, Zucker, Salz, Backpulver, Gewurze und Kaese in einer Schuessel mischen. Langsam das Bier dazugeben und verruehren. Der Teig wird dickfluessiger. In einer gefetteten  Kastenform ca. 45 Minuten backen.

While the house slowly filled with the smell of freshly baked bread we added some stems to the felt rosebuds. We already had silver painted branches from a never finished xmas project and found a couple more plain ones in the yard. I simple cut a small hole in the bottom felt layer of the bud and poked the branch into the bud from the bottom. I removed it again, filled it with hot glue and attached the stem again. I like them in the empty coffee can and don't know if the kids really will give them out for valentines. They found a good spot in my kitchen.

By the way even when one hero just left the premises another little one must have moved in and appeaedr in black tights out of nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...