Friday, March 8, 2013

german cooking on the menu

Soren's helping out with my pins and his conversation with my pincushion.

Soren: Mommy, what are these called?
Me: Nadeln. 
Soren. Nadeln, you won't poke me. You won't make me scream, needles.



School is out for spring break and with the drizzling outside it is the perfect evening to just lounge in the house with some home cooking. For a change I actually truly cooked German tonight even the kids are not absolutely happy about my choice of dinner. They love Bratwurst, but not necessarily Sauerkraut, but once a while I crave it even it is not on our regular menu.  I tried a new version with added bacon and apple today which turned out delicious and less sour as just cooking plain sauerkraut. Pst. Soren is just coming again to eat another serving of brats.

German Bratwurst and Sauerkraut

  • 6 slices of bacon
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • clove garlic, crushed
  • can of sauerkraut
  • 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 Tbs. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. chicken stock powder
  • 1 tsp. caraway seed
  • 1 lb. beer brats
  • 1 large apple, peeled and sliced

Cook bacon over medium high heat 4-5 minutes until crisp. Crumble and set aside. Discard all but 2 Tbs. drippings from skillet. Reduce heat to medium. 

Cook onion and garlic in the bacon drippings 4-5 minutes until tender. Stir in sauerkraut and and the rest of the ingredients besides the apple slices. Increase heat to high. Add up to 1/2 cup more water, if necessary, to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil. Add the brats to sauerkraut mixture. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally. Add the sliced apple and crumbled bacon. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes more or until apples are just tender. Serve.


The kitchen is not cleaned yet, but Soren's keeps eating anyway so it can wait a little longer while I enjoy a glass of wine and make my pattern for a shirt. I am actually attempting to sew clothes, something I haven't done for a while and not for myself for a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...